
Any of you who've been over to our house have seen the change. Since February I (and Ryan at my behest) have been busy building and planting raised bed gardens. I have wanted a garden for as long as I can remember, and we finally have the yard to do it. I wanted to do it last year, but starting such a project when you're either 900 months pregnant or with a new little baby is not the easiest thing in the world. Even now, we couldn't have done it without my mom helping with Owen or helping with the project (yeah teamwork!). So, here's how it went down:

1) My mom and I head to City People's to get some seeds and some peat pellets to start germinating. We go ahead and get some starts going (chard, kale, peas, lettuces, etc.).

2) Ryan and I get the wood at home depot and build the raised beds in the garage.
3) Ryan and I tear up an insane amount of lawn and go on an earthworm rescue mission in the process.
4) Raised beds go down, ground gets leveled.

5) Dirt and cedar chips arrive in driveway, Mom and I spend hours moving dirt from driveway to beds on tarp until nice neighbor lady (NNL) brings us wheelbarrow. NNL gets big load of lovely organic potting soil.

6) Starts go into bed, new seeds get sown as well.
7) Meghan realizes that maybe she's not patient enough for gardening because she wants the radishes now and doesn't like looking at the scrawny seedlings; she feels as though nothing will ever grow.
2 comments:
I cannot wait to happily partake of your cooking that incorporates the fruits and vegetables of your labors.
I love that we both try our first gardens in the same year! Just give it a little bit... they really start to grow fast...
Make sure you post a pic of the finished product.
Post a Comment