"Welcome to Utah, set your clock back 50 years." - Ed Abbey

We just returned home from over 10 days in the Beehive State. Here's the critical information:

The High Points
  • Watching all three of Owen's great-grandparents light up when they saw him
  • The drive down alone with Ryan and the ride home with Owen and Ryan. Road trips make for wonderful conversations, they really do
Freaking huge sky. Lovely drive (both times).
  • Watching my dad play with Owen on the floor of Donna's living room
  • Relaxed chatting and playing with Chris and Karen at their house, which feels like a second home
  • Dinner at Fresco on my mom's 60th birthday (an annual tradition)
  • Couples only, no kids allowed dinner with Mick and Tracy
  • Tomato soup at Stoneground with James, Chad, and Ethan (and splitting a roll and a beer with Chad like we're some old couple who's trying to cut down on carbs)
  • Hanging out up Big Cottonwood Canyon, which also feels like a second home
  • The lightening storm that we saw as we pulled into Boise at 11:00 pm
  • Seeing Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal perform at Red Butte Garden


The Low Points
  • Forgetting my Nikon (all photos from my iPhone)
  • Having to go to the doctor for my foot and getting a day boot, a night boot, and a recommendation to stay off it until it feels better
  • Karen slicing her finger with scissors and needing stitches
This is Karen's finger post-incident. The entire
week, we kept chanting, "Karen's #1! Karen's #1!"
  • Seeing people Ryan and I unfriended some time ago at an outdoor concert (and not unfriended in the Facebook way, the actual unfriending balls to the wall way --eek!)
  • Owen getting a topical Strep/Staff infection (not sure b/c they didn't culture) in his ear and trying to find a pediatrician STAT
  • Walking out of my mom's house for the last time (closing in Oct.). She has been in that house for the last 10 years --- that's the longest time she's lived in any one house since I've been born, so needless to say I feel some attachment to it
This is my closet door at my mom's house. I love it.
  • Canceling out trip to Moab because of my foot
Realizations
  • Black coffee brings out the flavor of Cool Ranch Doritos much like a nice Oregon Pinot does for Copper River Salmon
  • One of the reasons I hate Utah is because there are mini televisions at every filling station
  • One of the reasons I hate Utah is because they play Fox News on said mini televisions
  • The sky looks so freaking big in Idaho and Utah and the high desert landscape will always melt my heart
  • I want to chalk up, jam my hands into a crack, and climb. Enough of this lazy grad-school-come-baby-come-first-heinous-stressful-job-as-a-lawyer shit
  • Joe Biden would never let James and Ryan touch him like that, even though they'd like to
  • Owen is a super little rocker who rolled with the flow the entire trip. I want to take Owen camping, and I think he's ready and will love every second of it
On the way home, Owen was reading and babbling.
When he was suddenly quiet, we took a look and found
that he had fallen asleep under his book. Before we
removed it, we snapped a little photo. Freaking cute.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Love!

Bummer about the bummer parts tho.

We need to get together, stat.

Aimee said...

Sounds like an eventful 10 days!

We missed you but are glad you are back home to your real home :)

me said...

Sarah! Yes, let's connect as soon as humanly possible. I know you have heinous September ahead of you, but anything that works, just let us know.

You can also send Gu and Molly up here when you are at your conference :)

Ryan said...

Joe Biden started it - he grabbed me like that first!

Sizzle said...

That last photo is so so so cute.

Emilie said...

I CANNOT WAIT for your visit to NYC! Do you think Owen will remember me? Do you think he will like me? I LOVE HIM.

Eva said...

Oh my, what an eventful trip! What happened to your foot? Hope you are okay! Let me know if you want to meet up sometime this week with our kiddos.

Brenna said...

Oh Meg... this post made me so homesick and Megsick at the same time.
What happened to your foot?