Glad That's Over

Whew! That was epic. I've never been so sick in my life. I just laid there like a slug, it was my only defense.


So, now I'm back and playing with Owen, and working on getting my practice started, and visiting sick family in Utah, and then spending Thanksgiving in Eugene with friends, and really just keeping busy. I have, like, ten posts that I've been intending to do for the last five weeks and haven't gotten to for one swiney-pneumoniaey-traveley-busy reason or another. So, I'll just do one giant post and get everything all caught up and then go about my business.

I made this miso soup with buckwheat soba noodles,
tofu, and veggies when I was on the upswing
delicious and nutritious.

Ages and ages ago, before the flu even set in, my mom and I did a drive up Chuckanut to check out the changing leaves and have a nice chat. We got off I-5 as soon as possible and meandered through the farmlands of Skagit County. It was so freaking lovely. The best part was that we stopped at one of my favorite mini-farms and bought some great things for entirely too cheap: pink apples, fresh cider, a huge pumpkin (it was pre-Halloween), some lovely split peas, onions, carrots, etc.

Owen making a wish.

I love the honor pay system at the farm.
If I ever get my dream farm, my farm stand
will have a little honor-pay too.

Owen wandering.

With the pink apples I made a delicious apple cake with rum soaked raisins and just general deliciousness.

The pink apples were gorgeous and delicious.
What more could you want from a food.
They were really tiny and cute, too.

With the split peas I made my favorite all time ever split pea soup. It is the easiest soup to make and can be done in under 30 minutes (immersion blender helps). I think that everyone should make split pea soup all the time. The peas from Pleasant Ridge Farm were so freaking green and fresh and delicious I couldn't even handle it. This is my favorite recipe, although I usually add a few carrots when I saute the onions.

Pretty split peas from Pleasant Ridge. So yummy.

Ryan and I finally got to climb outside in Washington! My mom graciously agreed to watch Owen for a day. Ryan and I got up at 4:30 and hit the road. We drove to Vantage, WA, to climb at the Frenchman Coulee, a grouping of really cool basalt columns. One side of the columns was always in the sun so we were in t-shirts in October. I didn't get very good pictures because we were too busy getting in as many pitches as possible. We headed home and made it back to relieve my mom by 6:00. Not a bad day at all if I do say so myself!

Ryan on a climb at the Frenchman Coulee.

View from the base of the crag.

My dad got both knees replaced and suffered a small stroke related to the surgery. Owen and I went to SLC to visit him during his recovery for about a week. We had a great time visiting with him and are happy to report that he is officially on the mend. Owen started using a lot more words during that trip. We stayed with Donna, my dad's partner, and she skillfully threw up her hands to his sign language and managed to coax not cries but garbled musings from my little rooster. Well done Donna!

Owen concentrating on Legos.

There was a flurry of unpacking, laundry, and packing on the one day Owen and I were home before heading down to Eugene, Oregon, to spend Thanksgiving with Owen's Uncle Gully and Aunt Sarah. We had an awesome trip and there is nothing better than celebrating the holidays with cranmosas and close friends. I love Eugene because it breeds a whole new level of hippie. We went to the holiday craft fair where we were inundated with tie die, hippie pottery, and various other earthy bric-a-brac. We did get Owen a fantastic handmade monster hat (picture to follow in later post).

Saturday we spent some time at the local climbing gym and had a great time. I love climbing with other women (no offense Ryan) and am sure to enjoy many future trips with Sarah in the vertical world. Owen was a champ at the gym and I love how even the tiniest crimps are total jugs to him.

The Thanksgiving table. Owen is on the floor playing with his Legos.

We headed home on Saturday evening because Ryan, Owen, and I came down with a cold. I was feeling very sorry for myself and like I would never be well, but I am on the upswing now. Yahoo!

Molly the international dog of mystery missing her boy toy Gus.

I've been on one of my reading upswings as of late. Since I got sick I have read this book, and this one, this one, this one, and this one. Also, this one, which was one of the better ones I've read in a while. And this one, which I didn't really care for. If anyone wants to chat about them let me know.

6 comments:

Eva said...

Pink apples? Never even heard of them. They are beautiful. Must find me some next apple season. Those split peas look amazing. And the miso soup? Do you have the recipe? Funny how all my comments are about food... I guess we caught up on the rest yesterday. It was really nice to see you and the fam - so glad you are feeling better.

j said...

Excellent use of A Christmas Story quotes. Glad you're not feeling so fra-gi-le anymore (must be Italian?). Miss you and hope to see you all at Breeze's holiday dinner.

Sarah said...

Miso soup looked super yummy and I LOVE the picture of Owen with the dandelion seeds. You should frame that one.

It's interesting to juxtapose Kingsolver and Tempest Williams, who seem to have similar agendas and even lives (minus the Mormon thing) and yet Kingsolver is so thoughtful and beautiful while Tempest Williams is like a hammer. A really obnoxious hammer. (Perhaps it's the addition of scientific knowledge to political perspective that Kingsolver brings and TTW lacks? Hmmm.)

Aimee said...

Your pictures are so beautiful. I also get hungry looking at your blog. I think I might go have an apple now.

Owen continues to grow into a lovely human.

Glad you made it through the tornado of sickness.

Brenna said...

I have blog envy... maybe it's life envy... hard to say. I don't envy your sickness... although now I am sick.

But in general - I love everything about you... about this post... about Owen... about ryan climbing in hiking shoes... about you climbing period.

And thanks for the Gully image. Miss that boy too!
You should call me now that your alive. Cuz I missy you

Gary Eagan said...

Meg:

Having you & Owen here in Slick City for a week was wonderful! Wish I hadn't been stuffed into that hospital bed;-)

Tell Owen that Granpa Hobatz is getting faster & stronger day-by-day, and with a little more progress I might be able to fun him down. The gauntlet has been tossed. One lap of the room....OP vs Gary.

Love you all