If I Were...


A friend Buzzed a blog post containing this and I wanted to do one for myself. Fun.

If I were a month I’d be April

If I were a day I’d be today

If I were a time of day I’d be early morning

If I were a font I’d be Neue Helvetica

If I were a sea animal I’d be a sea horse

If I were a direction I’d be west

If I were a piece of furniture I’d be an Eames Lounge Chair

If I were a liquid I’d be beet juice

If I were a gemstone I’d be turquoise

If I were a tree I’d be a Sitka Spruce

If I were a tool I’d be laser picture hanger

If I were a flower I’d be a California poppy

If I were an element of weather I'd be snow

If I were a musical instrument I’d be a cello

If I were a color I’d be burnt sienna

If I were an emotion I’d be happiness

If I were a fruit I’d be a plum

If I were a sound I’d be the wind rushing through trees

If I were an element I’d be kryptonite :)

If I were a car I’d be headed to the desert

If I were a food I’d be sugar snap peas

If I were a place I’d be Castle Valley

If I were a material I’d be bamboo

If I were a taste I’d be caramelized onions

If I were a scent I’d be that smell right before it rains

If I were a body part I’d be a lung

If I were a song I’d be the I Won’t Back Down cover by Dawn Landes

If I were a bird I’d be a puffin

If I were a gift I’d be homemade

If I were a city I’d be Berlin

If I were a door I’d be open

If I were a pair of shoes I’d be Birkenstocks

If I were a poem I’d be Wild Geese by Mary Oliver:


You do not have to be good.

You do not have to walk on your knees

for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.

You only have to let the soft animal of your body

love what it loves.

Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.

Meanwhile the world goes on.

Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain

are moving across the landscapes,

over the prairies and the deep trees,

the mountains and the rivers.

Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,

are heading home again.

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,

the world offers itself to your imagination,

calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting

over and over announcing your place

in the family of things.

4 comments:

Gary said...

And if all possibilities were in my bowl, I'd choose to be your Dad....just as I am. Wonderful!

Sizzle said...

I love love love Mary Oliver. I'm so glad you did this. I was thinking of doing the same post today!

hannah said...

Loved this post! Thanks for sharing.

Brenna said...

This makes so much sense--- no wonder I can't breathe! I think you might be MY lung! So many same answers - burnt Sienna.. :)
love you.