Got My Jog On in the Desert



This picture really is self-explanatory and is indeed
my unsolicited endorsement of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Well people, I did it! I ran the Canyonlands Half Marathon! Started out running and crossed the finish line running (with blisters). The best part is that I felt fantastic during the entire run. I flew to SLC last Friday, my friend Chad picked me up from the airport, we headed south to Moab, picked up our race packets, and turned in for a good night's sleep. The next morning was FREAKING FREEZING (like high 30s) and we had to wait for about two hours in the cold for the race to start. Once I got going and the sun came out it was the perfect running temp.

The Chad and I freezing before the race.

In taking on this endeavor I decided simply to embrace the journey. My first goal was to complete the training program and finish the 13.1 miles come hell or high water. My stretch goal was to run the entire distance. So, to start the race running and not stop the entire time was such an amazing experience for me I can't even begin to explain. Also, to accomplish this in my hands down favorite place on earth was simply surreal. When they said, "And M.Eagan from Seattle," as I crossed the finish line I felt so pumped I thought I could run another half right there and then!

The Chad and I after the race.

My main reason for choosing this particular half marathon was that I hadn't been to the desert in about six years. It seemed like every time we tried to make it down there life just got in the way. So I set this goal and spent the money to register for the race as a way to obligate my return.

Let me take a minute to explain the significance of my return to the desert: The Utah desert and I are good old friends. Maybe we're more like family, really. I traveled there in my early teens with my mother, lived there for a time as a rafting guide, and spent a four year stretch climbing there about two weekends a month. I rang in the millennium in the desert, got my first speeding ticket in the desert, fell in love with my husband in the desert, and forged some of my closest friendships in the desert. Chad explained it perfectly when he said that the red sand gets under your skin and in your blood; it turns your bones pink and becomes a part of you. (Not a direct quote.)

The Fisher Towers lit by sunset.

So, to be there, and run there, was like coming home. I kept looking around me thinking, "These are my black-streaked, blood red walls; these are my desert towers; this is my rushing Colorado river; this is my cool, dry air; this is my limitless blue sky; and, this is my still, quiet, peaceful space." In case you couldn't tell, it was one of the best days in my 30 years.

Mr. X, Sarah, The Chad, and Molly relaxing after the race.

My dear friends Mr. X and Sarah joined us for some beer drinking and climbing on Sat and Sun. My dad and his partner graciously drove to Moab to cart me home for my return flight on Monday. It was all around an amazing trip!

The Chad leading a climb on Sunday.

* All photos taken with my iphone, pardon the quality.

4 comments:

Sizzle said...

You are amazing and inspiring. In case you needed reminding.

me said...

:) Thanks.

Brenna said...

# 1 - Way to go Meg on finishing that race! It is such a fun one!
#2 - You perfectly summed up the desert for me. Perfectly. I can not tell you how much I missed you in Moab.
Soon my friend... soon.

Jeanie said...

Congratulations!!! You rock!