I'm gonna throw a few gauntlets in these parts in the next couple of weeks.
Those of you who knew me in my vegan days know that I've never been a woman to do things in tiny increments when I need a change, and I need a change, so I may be prone to outlandish statements over the next bit. So, 1) I invented the question mark; and 2) as a sort of experiment we're not going to grocery shop for 10 days. Just to see. Just to know what's lurking behind the bags of split peas and french lentils in our tiny, overstuffed pantry. Just to understand why that organic free range local blah blah blah chicken is languishing in our freezer.
Maybe this doesn't sound like a big deal to those of you out there that do the beginning of the week Costco run and ride that out or those of you who are just as happy with Kraft mac and cheese as you are with whole-wheat-penne-sharp-chedder-gouda-with-truffle-essence-mac, but around here we have a bit of an obsession with farmer's markets and fancy grocery stores. This wrecks havoc on our budget. So anyway, on with our experiment. I was inspired by this blog post.
Exception: Owen gets what he needs (milk, diapers, wipes) I get to grab deodorant on my way home because duh, we can stop at the farmer's market this Sunday to get some fruit (only fruit).
The end! Go team! Yahoo!
Addendum: We haven't stocked up on groceries... in fact, I think we haven't been grocery shopping for about 7 days. Really, this is a small part of a larger effort to ween ourselves from the pervasive consumption-driven frenzy we've likely all been thinking about courtesy of the recession. Also, because of the garden, I'm not worrying about scurvy. (Mostly, I just wanted to use the word scurvy in a sentence. I invented scurvy after I invented the question mark. Gauntlet.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Good idea. Go team Eagan-Heffernan, go.
Any updates?
I love you Meghan. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Post a Comment