The Challenge

My mom pointed out an interesting article in the paper today. It was about The Great American Apparel Diet. Essentially, it's a group if women who have committed to not buy any clothes for one year. Ryan and I had toyed with the idea of not buying anything superfluous for an entire year (with a couple of carefully thought out exceptions of course), but had gotten lost in our conversations about the details and never made the leap. This article totally inspired me and led to an extensive Saturday morning conversation about American consumer culture.


My initial reaction to the article was that it's kind of sad that this is such a radical notion it gets so much press (Redbook, Oprah, Seattle Times), but then I thought about myself and how many articles of clothing I would buy this year... it's definitely more than I would initially think. And then I realized, that's the point. Consumption in our culture has become so mindless and ingrained that people need to make overt commitments in order to, ironically, buy out of this pervasive culture.


Anyway, blah blah blah. I know we've heard it all before. But for some reason, the conversation today motivated Ryan and I. We each committed to give up buying certain things for the period of one year (until Nov. 1, 2010). I am obviously posting this to hold my feet to the fire.

I will give up purchasing 1) clothing, 2) shoes, 3) any pre-made sweets (but I can make my own if I'm so inclined... this is mostly to break my addiction to Starbuck's lemon loaf) for one year.

Ryan will give up purchasing 1) espresso drinks and 2) pre-made sweets for the period of one year.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow, that is pretty amazing! Have you read the Overspent American? I haven't but it sounds like an amazing book on this issue.

This is also very parallel to our convo last night about holding onto things. Collecting stuff that just builds and builds.

What if someone gives you a present which is clothing, shoes pre-made candy or an espresso drink? ;) I'll know what to get you for presents this year.

the taking up of space said...

this sounds awful. you have more will power than i do. my hat's off.

hannah said...

I loved this post. Thanks for sharing.
Hartman and I were talking about making firm commitments for the new year and sticking to them.
You have inspired me more.

ayla.bird said...

You're braver than most. No more lemon loaf = sadness.

Unknown said...

huzzah!!! I love this. I think this is super awesome and it'll be interesting to see if you guys notice a big change in your budget as well as in you outlook. Keep us posted. One question, how come Ryan gets to buy new clothes, but you don't? Another question: Can I come along to the shopping extravaganza that is going to happen on Nov 10th of next year?

Cathy said...

That's great that you're taking on a "no-clothing-for-one-year" challenge (plus shoes and sweets)! I didn't see you on our list of participants at the TGAAD weblog site, though. We'd love to have you (and/or any of your followers who are so inclined) in our ranks! Come join us and share in the support! Just contact info@sallyreps.com!