#12 Recommended Reading


I just finished Opting In by Amy Richards (the co-author of Manifesta) and I highly recommend it. I had been searching for a book written from a feminist perspective that addressed issues facing working mothers, and this is the best one I've found. The book was written in response to an article published in the NY Times a few years ago that looked at female Yale Law School graduates who were opting out of working after having children. The book does a good job of articulating a lot of the conflicting feelings I have as a new mother and professional. I recommend it to anyone (male or female as it addresses division of labor issues in relationships after the baby) who feels that continuing to work while mothering a child might actually make them a better parent, feminist, and citizen in the long run.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

ohh love it. maybe i can borrow it from you soon.

me said...

Yes, you totally should.

Jeanie said...

Neat! I just put this book on hold at the library. I can't wait to read it.